Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Porter Peach Memories: Gluten Free Peach Pie

Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way by the Pillsbury company for my endorsement of their product in this blog post. All opinions expressed in this blog post are my own.
My recent trip home to Oklahoma brought another special kind of pilgrimage for me with a trip to Livesay's Orchard in Porter as another Porter peach season arrived on the calendar. I enjoyed picking out my peaches and then shipped them to my doorstep here in NY, where they arrived safely. So many special memories of making the road trip to Tahlequah to Porter every July first with Mom and Grandma Cleva, then it was me and Grandma Cleva and finally, it was, and is, me making the trip, sometimes with others, but always me and my precious memories of the beloved car passengers past who made the trip with me.
Some of the peaches pictured above were soon sliced and diced to make my peach pie recipe. This past year, I have received several requests from readers for gluten free recipes and I recently received a request for a gluten free peach pie.
Pillsbury now has several kinds of gluten free dough available in the refrigerated section at many grocery stores and I found it in my local store and decided to try their gluten free "pie and pastry" dough for this recipe. I am constantly in search of gluten free products for my recipes that are tasty and at a good price point.
I was impressed with the taste of this gluten free dough. The dough requires extra kneading in order to get the consistency needed, but once kneaded, it was a good crust dough to work with for this recipe.
"Angela's Gluten Free Peach Pie"
1 tub Pillsbury gluten free pie and pastry dough
8 medium size fresh peaches – sliced, peeled and pit removed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp nutmeg

2 tbsp cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Prepare the peaches. Remove the gluten-free pie dough from the tub and cut dough in half. You’ll use one half of dough for the bottom crust and the other half for the crumb topping.
For the crust: Dump 1/2 of the pie dough into a pie tin. Knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth. Now flatten and push the dough into the pie tin until it evenly covers the entire inside of the tin and becomes the crust.  
For the filling: Place the peach slices across the bottom pie crust. In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the top of the peaches in the pie tin.
For the top crumble crust: Using the same small bowl, use a fork to mix together the 1/4 Cup sugar and remaining pie crust dough. Just combine until crumbly. Now pour the crumb mixture on top of the pie, carefully covering the entire pie.
Cover sides of pie crust with foil. Place pie in the oven and bake 40-45 or until top crust is browned in color. Place on cooling rack until cooled. Serve and enjoy!

Any of you who try this gluten free recipe, I'd love to know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment